As this time of year comes around I am feeling something strange. People around me are scurrying around, trying to finish what they have to do before it's too late. Friends excuse themselves to write papers and study for tests. Facebook statuses bemoan due dates and unfinished assignments. As I see all of this end of the semester activity as an observer and not a participant for the first time, unfamiliar emotions creep into my being.
Could it be withdrawals? Do I actually miss the stress of completing academic assignments?
For the last couple of years I did not particularly enjoy this time of year. I looked forward to the break and usually did not worry too much about my assignments. But as I wrote my papers at the end of the last few semesters I wished that I could be finished. I exhibited all the symptoms of Senioritis and longed for the freedom I believed graduation would grant me.
However, now that I no longer have the deadlines and test dates I find myself almost jealous of those that must still worry about their scholastic activities. I miss writing papers late at night and showing off my raw intelligence by barely studying for what were supposed to be difficult tests.
Perhaps it's because I miss the sense of accomplishment I got from doing well (enough) on all my assignments. Perhaps it's because I miss that sense of purpose. Perhaps it's because I'm still a nerd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
OR... Perhaps you feel that you need to write papers, and you need to procrastinate as long as you can, to show people that you are intelligent. So, by not having this, you have nothing to "one-up" other people...
Just a thought =)
Shoot, I don't miss it at all. My biggest struggle is to not gloat as I'm partying it up (yeah right) in front of my friends who are sleep deprived and stressed out of their heads. Maybe next year I'll be bored enough to miss it though.
Andrew: This essay brought back memories of a final paper draft that was supposed to be a final paper!
Post a Comment